Home made play dough is so easy to make and it’s even better with some essential oils added. A fab sensory experience, you can use therapeutic oils to help relax, calm or energise or even for their anti bacterial properties! Here is the recipe, get creative;
- 3 cups flour
- 1.5 cups salt
- 2 Tbsp. cream of tartar (important!)
- 3 Tbsp. of oil ( vegetable oil, Olive oil or grapeseed oil all work well )
- 3 cups boiling water
- Food Coloring ( the brighter the better )
How to make:
1. Combine all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
2. Bring the water to a boil then combine it with the oil
3. Pour the hot mixture over the dry ingredients and stir really well.
4. Turn out the warm dough onto a board/table and knead it really well until all the ingredients are combined and moist
5. Divide up the dough into 4 balls.
6. Take a ball and flatten it out a little, add 10 drops of essential oil(s) in total and roll and knead again, then add your chosen colour. I like to link fragrance with colour so purple can be calming lavender, orange can be energising Sweet Orange and so on, use your imagination. Knead it really well, the more you knead the better the colour and fragrance develops.
7. Keep your dough in a glass jar and it will last for around two months.
Great oils to use are: Lavender ( anti bacterial and calming ) Grapefruit ( happy oil! ) Sweet Orange ( energising ) Peppermint ( fresh, good for travel sickness too ) Eucalyptus ( great for colds and stuffy noses ). It makes a brilliant travel toy too, we pop ours in a sealable sandwich bag and use it on flightsand in the car too. There’s no end of creative fun and it’s always a bonus that it has a therapeutic value too! Plus everyone of any age can’t resist playing with it!
The Aromatherapy Workshops and Aromatherapy Blending Course all run by The Retreat will teach you everything you need to know about essential oils to be safe and create amazing fragrances and products.